Posted by Elizabeth Devereux
This is a just a sampling of some of my favorite violin music. I suggest some specific recordings, but also more generally violinists whom I admire and pieces that are important to hear. This is (thankfully) by NO means an exhaustive list! I encourage you to listen to different recordings of the same pieces and to various artists in order to develop your own tastes and preferences.
Have fun listening!
Violin Concertos, Sonatas & Solo Violin Music
- Mozart: Violin Concertos (1-5); Pamela Frank, violin; Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
- J. S. Bach: Violin Concertos; Itzhak Perlman, Pinchas Zukerman, violin; English Chamber Orchestra
- Ysaye, Eugene: Six Sonatas for Solo Violin; Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin
- Bruch & Mendelssohn Violin Concertos; Maxim Vengerov, violin
- Lalo Symphonie Espagnole, Saint-Seans Violin Concerto, Ravel; Maxim Vengerov, violin
- Brahms & Beethoven Violin Concertos; Isaac Stern, violin; Leonard Rose, cello; Eugene Istomin, piano
- Fritz Kreisler Plays Kreisler
- Shostakovich: Violin & Cello Concertos; David Oistrakh, violin; Mstislav Rostropovich, cello
- Barber, Korngold, & Walton Violin Concertos; James Ehnes, violin
- Tchaikovsky & Sibelius Violin Concertos; Isaac Stern, violin
- Mozart: Sonatas for Piano & Violin; Isaac Stern, violin; Yefim Bronfman, piano
- Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas; Itzhak Perlman, violin; Vladimir Ashkenazy, piano
- Brahms: Violin & Viola Sonatas; Pinchas Zukerman, violin; Daniel Barenboim, piano
- Charles Ives: The Sonatas for Violin and Piano; Gregory Fulderson, violin; Robert Shannon, piano
- Rode, Pierre: 24 Caprices for Solo Violin; Oscar Shumsky, violin
- Paganini, Niccolo: 24 Caprices for Solo Violin; James Ehnes, violin
Additional Works (wikipedia has a fairly extensive list of works for violin)
- J. S. Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin
* There are numerous recordings of the sonatas and partitas. These works are some of the most important pieces ever written for the violin; they are amazing and enduring compositions that we are so lucky to be able to enjoy. I encourage you all to listen to many different recordings of these works, perhaps at a music library or store or from what’s available on-line, and buy a few of your favorites.
- Violin Concertos by: Bartok, Berg, Dvorak, Haydn, Kabalevsky, Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Schumann, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Vivaldi Four Seasons, Walton, Wieniawsky
- Violin Sonatas by: Bartok, Beach, Biber, Bridge, Corelli, Corigliano, Debussy, Dvorak, Franck, Grieg, Janacek, Poulenc, Prokofiev, Ravel, Schumann, Schnittke, Shostakovich, Szymanowski
James Ehnes, Mischa Elman, Julia Fischer, Jennifer Frautschi, Ida Haendel, Hilary Hahn, Jascha Heifetz, Ani Kavafian, Yehudi Menuhin, Nathan Milstein, David Oistrakh, Itzhak Perlman, Rachel Podger, Michael Rabin, Gil Shaham, Ittai Shapira, Maxim Vengerov, Pinchas Zukerman
I love many different genres of music beyond the classical world. Here are some of my favorite fiddle players:
- Kenny Baker, American fiddler
- Kevin Burke, Irish fiddler
- Regina Carter, American jazz violinist
- Vassar Clements, American fiddler
- Stephane Grappelli, French jazz violinist
- Bobby Hicks, American fiddler
- Christian Lemaitre, Breton (French) fiddler
- Patrick Street, Irish fiddler
- Rhonda Vincent, American fiddler
CAN YOU HELP ADD TO THE LIST???
What are some of YOUR favorite recordings, violinists, and violin pieces? Please leave your ideas as comments below!